We all enjoy a little something special every once in a while, why not try the following easy recipe to treat your bird one day!Ingredients:
½ lb dates
½ lb dried apricots
½ lb dried figs
½ lb mixed dried fruit
2 cups chopped walnuts
½ cup cranberry and raisin mix
1 tsp sesame seeds or hulled buckwheat
- Combine ingredients in (A) into a food grinder and grind.
- Scoop out and shape into small balls.
- Roll in seeds, buckwheat or finely chopped nuts.
- Refrigerate portions until ready to feed.
- These balls are great as foraging treats, and you can shape them to whatever size you want. Small multiple treats hidden around their cage to find is always better than one large reward.
- You can also play around and substitute with different bird-safe dried fruits and seeds to create different flavours.
- As with all fresh-made food, keep track of when the treats were made and dispose of if they start to appear off.
If you make these treats for your bird, share your photo with us!
Written by: College Manor Veterinary Hospital