Here are some tips on how to make your cat’s litter box smell better:
- Scoop every day! Scoop your box every day to prevent the buildup of odours, this will help keep your house smelling clean.
- Clean the box and replace the litter every two weeks – cleaning out your box and replacing the litter every 1-2 weeks is recommended. The litter will start to absorb the smell of your cat’s pee/poop and changing it will keep it fresh.
- Use litter box filters – there are filters you can purchase (such as Magic Blue), which absorbs the smells left by your cat’s urine.
- Consult your veterinarian about your cat’s diet – could the smell be related to your cat’s diet? We recommend consulting with your veterinarian, they may have a food recommendation for you.
- Add baking soda to the litter – adding some baking soda to the bottom of your litter box (under the litter) can help cover the smell. When your cat goes to the washroom, they will scoop up some of the baking soda with the litter and help disguise the smell!
Written by College Manor Veterinary Hospital