Dangers that Come with Spring

Spring is here, but with it, comes to some things that can be dangerous for your pets! Spring (and Easter) bring plants that are hazardous to your pets’ health. Tulips, Hyacinth, Lilies, Crocus, and Lily of the valley are all plants that are considered poisonous for our pets. A lot of the weed killers, insect repellents, and fertilizers that we use in our gardens can also be a hazard.

The bulbs of tulips are the toxic part of the flower, as they contain allergenic lactones. Chewing or ingesting of the bulb can cause tissue irritation in the mouth, as well as the esophagus. Some signs you can look out for if you believe your pet has gotten in to your tulips are vomiting, diarrhea, and excessive drooling. There is no specific antidote for allergenic lactones, but your veterinarian can treat these signs
and symptoms with subcutaneous fluids and anti-vomiting medications.

Daffodils contain lycorine, which is an alkaloid that triggers vomiting. Ingesting any part of the plant can cause symptoms such as severe diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain, and even cardiac arrhythmias and respiratory depression. Similar to the tulip, the bulb of a daffodil also contains properties that can irritate the tissues.

Some lilies are dangerous are more dangerous than others, so it’s imperative to know which ones which are which. Peruvian, Peace and Calla lilies can cause tissue irritation which can lead to drooling. These lilies are considered “benign”. The more dangerous lilies include Tiger, Day, Easter and Japanese Show lilies. These lilies have the potential to be fatal to your pet. These lilies are especially toxic to cats. Just a small ingestion of these can cause severe kidney failure. If your pet is brought in during the early toxic stage, the vet can induce vomiting and administer activated charcoal.

There are two types of Crocus Plants. One of them blooms in the spring, and one in the fall. The Spring Blooming are more common and can cause a gastrointestinal upset like vomiting and diarrhea. The Fall Blooming (also knows as Meadow Saffron) is highly toxic and can cause severe vomiting, liver and kidney damage, gastrointestinal bleeding and respiratory failure. These symptoms may or not appear

Lily of the valley:
The Lily of the Valley contains cardiac glycosides (used in human heart medications) and can cause symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, cardiac arrhythmias, and a sudden decrease in heart rate. In more severe cases, ingestion can also cause seizures.

If you suspect that your pet has ingested any of these flowers, or is showing any symptoms listed above, please seek medical attention immediately. The sooner your pet gets seen, the better.