905.853.4706

Xylitol Ingestion in Dogs

Xylitol (zi-li-tol):  Is a naturally derived sweetener (sugar alcohol) that is used as a sugar supplement in many diabetic and low glycemic foods.  It has become a popular replacement for sugar found in everything from peanut butter, ketchup, toothpastes, gums, candies and vitamins.  Derived mainly from the Birch tree, it can be found in trace amounts in many natural foods, but when concentrated and used as a sweetening agent or cavity protectant it becomes HIGHLY TOXIC to non-primate animal species – ie dogs, cats, and pocket pets.

Ingestion of xylitol can have a wide range of toxic effects on your pet. The amount of xylitol in any one product can vary greatly.  In small amounts >0.1mg/kg – the pancreas will rapidly release insulin into your pet’s bloodstream where it will cause a rapid decrease in their blood sugar leading to hypoglycemia and collapse. Amounts up to 0.5mg/kg and greater will have devastating effects of the liver (acute liver necrosis) and internal bleeding along the digestive tract.

Signs and Symptoms of xylitol ingestion can include:

Weakness and collapse, tremors, lethargy, seizures, ecchymosis (spontaneous bruising) racing heart rate, seizures, coma, acute liver failure seen as jaundice, black tarry stools (sign of internal bleeding in the digestive tract) and death.

If you see or suspect that your dog has ingested any xylitol please get to your veterinarian or the closest veterinary emergency hospital as quickly as possible. If you are unsure you can call them or the Pet Poison Helpline @ 800-213-6680.  Toxicity can begin to occur as quickly as 15min all the way up to 12hrs after ingestion.  Make sure you gather all package information and bring it with you.

If ingestion has occurred your pet will need to be hospitalized and treatment will vary depending on the signs and symptoms that occur.  IV fluids and hospitalization are likely along with frequent monitoring of blood sugar levels, liver values and blood clotting factors.  Supportive treatment for the liver and blood plasma transfusions may be required.  Depending on the level of toxicity, treatment can last several days and supportive treatment for the liver may be months to years.

The best prevention is awareness.  Knowing what products in your home contain xylitol, and keeping them out of your pets reach is essential.  If you have a pet that regularly gets into things around the home and scavenges cupboards, counters and/or the garbage, then consider not purchasing products with xylitol at all.  As it is becoming increasingly popular in a wide range of products it is important to read labels carefully.  Common alerts to xylitol-containing products include terms such as ** sugar-free, **naturally sweetened, or **aspartame free.  Consider all toothpaste and oral hygiene products to have xylitol in them, and be mindful of products that you may want to feed your dogs such as peanut butter or ketchup.

Dentyne ice, orbit white and trident gum packs

Written by College Manor Veterinary Hospital 

Blog

Cat opening its mouth to be examined

Levels of Dental Disease in Your Pet and How You Can Prevent

Do you know the most common disease in dogs and cats? It is not liver or kidney disease, or even thyroid disease. It is dental disease! Did you know that dental disease affects over 80% of dogs over the age of 3 years, and between 50-90% of cats over 4 years?

Read More
See All Articles

Last updated: December 22, 2021

Dear Clients,

With recent changes to restrictions on businesses, we have made some important updates to our operating policies.

1. WE CAN NOW SEE ALL CASES BY APPOINTMENT ONLY

This includes vaccines, wellness exams, blood work, heartworm testing, spays and neuters, dental services, and more!

2. SAFETY MEASURES TO KEEP EVERYONE SAFE

Note: Due to the continued health precautions recommended by Health Canada, we have elected to discontinue 'in clinic' pick-ups for items ordered via our Online Store including both medications and food with immediate effect. The delivery option is extremely flexible and they will deliver wherever you choose.

3. OPERATING HOURS

We are OPEN with the following hours:

Monday - Thursday: 8:00 am - 7:00 pm
Friday: 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Saturday: 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
Sunday: CLOSED


NEW PET OWNERS

Have you welcomed a new furry family member to your home? Visit our Must Know New Pet Owner Information page for useful resources and helpful recommendations for new pet owners.

Thank you for your patience and understanding and we look forward to seeing you and your furry family members again!

Your dedicated team at College Manor Veterinary Hospital